All applications require the following documentation completed by the respective person(s). Applicants, ensure you give your landlord time to complete the forms and turn them in as soon as possible. Landlords may submit the forms directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference name of Applicant in the subject line.
- Proof of applicant identification
- Hawaii Driver’s License or State ID, or
- Valid government issued ID
- Proof applicant is a renter in Kaua‘i County - This program is only for renters. Homeowners are not eligible. Examples include:
- Valid and current lease/rental agreement
- Copy of recently expired lease/rental agreement if landlord approved month-to-month tenancy
- Screenshot of rental management agency's payment portal with rental amount.
- Proof of applicant and household income. Examples include:
- 2020 tax returns
- 2 most recent pay stubs (if employed)
- Unemployment letter
- Other documents such as social security benefit letter, financial assistance statement, retirement statement, disability statement, etc.
- Self-Certification of Income Form (see below)
- Lease/Utility Bills (if requested assistance)
- Utility bills
- The CRUA program will pay past due utility bills and current bills
- Please be sure to allow timely payment of utilities by submitting current bills right away
- Monthly bills are required to be submitted for the entire duration you wish to receive funding. We can’t pay utility bills prospectively
- Past due rental notices
- You do not have to be past due to receive assistance
- We can fund up to 3 months ahead at a time based on your circumstances
- A W-9 tax form from your landlord if rent aid is requested.
- Please refer below page for a downloadable copy of the W-9 and VVF. If your landlord is unable, unavailable, or unwilling to submit the required landlord forms, this will not be cause for denial of aid. We encourage you to apply to the best of your ability and contact us with any questions or documentation issues.
- Utility bills
- Please note: rental payment history between landlord/Property Manager may be requested based on the length of lease and the relationship between tenant and landlord. Below are acceptable forms of documentation to validate payment pattern.
- For applicants, bank statements showing the withdrawals of monthly rent amount to show a pattern of payments.
- For landlords, bank statements showing deposits of monthly rent amounts into their accounts, to show pattern.
- Venmo/PayPal payments to landlord, bank transfers etc. Any electronic payment method.
- Money order receipts, Western Union and Money Gram receipts are accepted.
- Check deposits with landlord name in pay to order of.
- Deposit slips from a financial institution showing rent amount being deposited.
- Handwritten documents/receipts will not be accepted as a form of payment history verification.
- Self-Certification of Income Verification Form (Only required if no income documentation is available)
- Self-Declaration of Housing Instability (Only required in certain situations. Your intake specialist will let you know)
- Self-Certification of Significant Increase Cost or Expense (Only required if you applied before 2/1/2022, under certain circumstances. Your intake specialist will let you know)
** Recertification for additional assistance (required if previously funded):
Based on funding availability, and how many benefit months you have received, you may continue to receive additional rents and/or utility funding. A Recertification form is required each time you recertify for at least 3 month of funding.